** PRE-ORDER ** SPELLJAMS
• PRE-ORDERS RECEIVE INSTANT DIGITAL DOWNLOAD OF THE ENTIRE 19 TRACK COMPILATION
• DELUXE DOUBLE LP IN A TRIPLE GATEFOLD, FOILD STAMPED LP JACKET WITH ADDITIONAL ARTWORK, 12x24 FOLD-OUT POSTER WITH FULL LYRICS AND PRINTED INNER SLEEVES.
• AVAILABLE ON STANDARD COLOR VINYL & LIMITED EDITION "GALAXY" COLOR VINYL.
* * * THIS IS A PREORDER, ARTIFACT EDITION DOUBLE LP WILL SHIP APRIL 2023 * * *
For nearly five decades, Dungeons & Dragons has inspired generations of creative people to make movies, novels and, yes, music. Now that relationship is even more distinct with the release today of an album of music created by cutting-edge bands and musical acts all inspired by Spelljammer: Adventures in Space. The far-out storytelling in the world’s greatest roleplaying game’s latest offering is fertile ground for composing some of the most original songs you’ll hear this year from bands like Magic Sword, Shabazz Palaces, Califone, TEKE::TEKE and Osees.
Spelljams features a double LP’s worth of tracks from artists all produced by Chris Funk, guitarist from The Decemberists who plays D&D with many folks in the music scene in Portland, Oregon. Chris Perkins, story architect at D&D and lead designer of Spelljammer, worked with Funk to bring the Flash Gordon-esque soundtrack to life.
“You know what they like on the Rock of Bral?" asked Perkins, referring to a location in Spelljammer. "Rock music! The brilliant Chris Funk has assembled a motley crew of bards to create Spelljams—music inspired by our newest Spelljammer adventure, Light of Xaryxis. I encourage Dungeon Masters use Spelljams as background music during their D&D game sessions or listen to it while dreaming up future hijinks. Everyone else: enjoy the music of Wildspace!”
“Helping facilitate bringing this world to life through music and the amazing artists' visions that were selected was an honor of a lifetime," said Funk. "I am of the opinion when people think of Dungeons & Dragons that there is a preconceived underscore of what these worlds might sound like. With this bold return to Spelljammer we were excited to push the boundaries deep into Wildspace, working with artists from diverse musical backgrounds that could challenge what music in the multiverse of the world’s greatest roleplaying game might sound like. Each artist was given a character or plot prompt from the storyline, then challenged to write an original composition based on Light of Xaryxis. We hope you enjoy the result!”
1. Magic Sword - Seeds Of Destruction
2. Osees - Arena Of Blood
3. Reggie Watts - Space Is A Place
4. TEKE::TEKE - Visible Lights
5. Black Marble - Far
6. Mikaela Davis - Left Hand Path
7. Lucius - love is the disaster
8. Penny & Sparrow - Xedalli
9. Y La Bamba - Moon Dancer
10. Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith - Light of Xaryxis
11. MonoNeon - Spacefighters
12. Cardioid & pink paint - Crystalline Climbers
13. Devon Gilfillian - Me and The Moon
14. Red Fang - Endless Sea
15. Nolan Potter’s Nightmare Band - Ghost Of The Nautiloid
16. Deru & Arooj Aftab - Forgotten Land
17. Wizard of Waz - Topolah’s Song
18. Califone - chaotic.evil.astral.elves
19. Shabazz Palaces - The Door To Endlessness
Cat. No. KRS733
Release date: August 16, 2022 (digital) / TBD (2xLP)